This free homeschool unit study comes from my natural curiosity to learn more about one on my favorite animals. These animals often get a bad rap, being called “pests”, I hope you learn how awesome raccoons are and the importance of them in our world.
These lessons can be used across all elementary age levels and can be adjusted for lower and higher grades. Any resources used including books and videos should always be prescreened by the parent, just because it works in my home does not mean it will work in yours. This will be such a fun and engaging addition to your science curriculum.
This unit is faith neutral leaving it up to the parents to decide which direction to take it.
There are no required resources. This unit can be used stand alone as it includes informative reading passages. These resources below are not required, just additional add-ons if you want to enhance or extend the lessons. Please pre-screen any recommended resources, just because they work in my home does not meet they will work in yours.
There is a recommended video to watch for each lesson. These really tie together the entire unit.
I created an Amazon page where I included all recommended books, be sure to check out your local library.
Recommended Lesson Video Playlist
- Identify and describe the physical characteristics of raccoons.
- Explain the importance of animal tracks in identifying animal species.
- Define mammals and describe their characteristics.
- Describe the habitat of raccoons and explain its importance to the survival of raccoons.
- Describe the characteristics of the temperate forest biome and identify its location.
- Explain the adaptations of nocturnal animals.
- Describe the lifecycle of raccoons and identify their different stages.
- Understand the purpose of animal rehabilitation, and describe the basic steps involved in rehabilitating injured or orphaned animals.
- Compare and contrast raccoons to other animal species using Venn diagrams.
- Research and create presentation on an animal and their habitat, including information on their physical characteristics, lifecycle, and other interesting facts.
Unit Updates 4/25/2023 – Lesson 1 Updated – Raccoons live up to
15 Years should be 3 years in the wild. Updated unit emailed out to any customers with downloads. You can also repurchase (for FREE) and download the updated unit.
Access FREE Raccoon Unit Study
You can get the FREE homeschool Raccoon unit study clicking on the button below! You will need to add to your cart and check out.
Leave a Reply